Michael Williamson From Independent Loss Adjusters Appears on The One Show

Highlighting The Services ILA Has To Offer

A while back The One Show hosted a segment featuring Michael Williamson from Independent Loss Adjusters (ILA). The show highlighted the difference between using an insurers loss adjuster or those who work on behalf of the public.

The Segment featured policyholders who had suffered flood damage to their properties in Fishlake, Doncaster in November 2019. The show highlighted the fact that many people do not know about the kind of services we can offer by having someone working on your side instead.

The UK’s Ongoing Flooding Issues

With the clean-up of the damage in the aftermath of storm Ciara thousands of people were already counting the costs. As previous victims of flooding have found, there is still a long way to go before their lives can get back to normal.

During the past decade, flooding has become a growing problem all across the UK. Some of the worst-hit areas were Somerset in 2013, West Yorkshire five years ago and South Yorkshire late last year.

When Michael Williamson from Independent Loss Adjusters appeared on The One Show

Barry a Fishlake resident who was affected by the flooding said “It just came so quickly with no time to rescue anything”. Once the water had subsided some people were waiting months for insurance claims to be paid.

To battle any potential delays, many homeowners in Fishlake turned to Michael for assistance with their insurance claims.

What Is A Loss Adjuster?

A loss adjuster is somebody appointed by either the insurance company or by the homeowner to manage a claim on their behalf and to look after their interests. While it is common for loss adjusters to work for an insurance company.

The insurance industry says it’s rare for individuals to employ them. But why are people doing this? Ultimately, it is because the insurance companies are dealing with a high volume of claims.

They have hundreds of claims that they struggle to cope with. Then you become a number. Our objective is to get a claim completed and get the owners back in the house.

Independent Loss Adjusters charge a fee of 10% of the settlement plus VAT unless the homeowner uses their recommended contractor, in which case that contractor will pay the fee.

How Michael Helped With Barry and Shelia’s Claim.

The first thing Independent Loss Adjusters do when taking on a new claim is inspect the damage. If we take a look at our recent clients Barry and Shelia, their home was flooded, and the flood water reached 3 feet high. There was mould spreading around the corners of rooms. All the wood fixtures and plaster need to be taken out so the dehumidifiers can concentrate on drying the fabrics in the building.

The kitchen tiles are cracked showing that the concrete is full of moisture. This shows the extensive damage caused and the massive amount of money it will cost to repair. Barry and his wife Shelia lived in the property for 17 years. They are now living in temporary accommodation.

Barry was asked why he chose to use Michael instead of dealing directly with his insurer. He said “I think were progressing faster this way you know, I can have someone to talk to rather than you are number 27 in the queue to speak to someone” Before any work could get underway, There was the big problem of Barry’s heating system.

The oil tank in Barry’s garden had collapsed which led to the fuel line breaking. This caused an estimated 600 litres of heating oil to be leaked into the house via the flood water. The oil sat in the house for several days!

Michael gained conservative costs of around £60,000 for the excavation, the treatment and the exposure of the concealed oil. If the oil were to contaminate the foundations, It could be a lot more.

Barry authorised Michael to negotiate with his insurance company on his behalf. Barry is convinced that after employing an Independent Loss Adjuster his claim has been fast-tracked.

Repairs have already been agreed on in principle, but they are going to take a long time to complete. Surveyors told Barry “It’s going to be at least a year” before they can move back in. Barry is remaining positive however noting that his wife Shelia will “enjoy buying all the new furniture”.

How Michael Was Helping Mark Sangallo’s Claim

Another client of Michaels, Mark Sangallo was also affected by the floods. He had just finished renovating the downstairs of his home when the floods hit. Like Barry, Mark came to us for help speeding up his claim.

Mark was asked if Michael had helped him. He said, “Definitely, it takes the pressure off of you chasing the insurers. I know people say you can just ring up, but at the time I don’t want the hassle it’s better to leave it to them who know”. Mark’s claim couldn’t be agreed on as the insures needed to also inspect the damage.

So, he couldn’t do anything at the time. That meant every day the problems were getting worse. He said “You get mould upstairs on the lampshades on the bed on the table. If it doesn’t go out soon, I’m guessing it’s going to damage everything else”.

The loss adjusters working the claim at the time said “It’s frustrating for us because we can see the damage upstairs happening and we can’t really stop it until we get approval to carry out work.” The other Loss Adjuster said, “If we don’t tackle it soon the bills going to increase”.

Mark was living with family and had said it would be at least 10 months before he could move back in! But he’s trying to stay positive. “You’ve got to go away from it, Pick your head up, and carry on and just hope everything clicks into place”.

According to the British Association of Insurers, anyone effected by flooding should contact their insurance company in the first instance for immediate help and advice.

This is true, but for you to get the best possible help. Then you should appoint a loss adjuster as early in the claim as possible and not when you start to face issues with the insurer.

*Transcript taken from The One Show.

You're In
Safe Hands

We believe that everyone should have their own Independent Loss Adjuster when they suffer a insured loss or damage.